It wasn’t until mid-2017 that I begin to take notice of the deeply rooted rituals my grandmothers would take part in. I was always aware of the remedies and “dichos” my abuelas would tell me to take part in, but I never paid that much attention to the acts or power behind those cleansings.
After experiencing the loss of my son and living through it, followed by the release of two very close friendships (all in one year), I found myself in a dark, dark hole filled with anger, hurt, pain and anxiety. I honestly felt like I was experiencing post-partum depression (should have gone to get checked out) but I didn’t want to start a “pill” to cure something I didn’t want to accept. I come from a family of addicts and taking a “pill” was not an option for me. I felt helpless. One morning, I received a text from a coworker (closer than coworker – a friend) with a guided mediation attached. I opened it knowing she would not have sent me something I didn’t need or that was a waste of my time. I downloaded the app and laid in my bed to listen. What happened next changed my life.
The beautiful, damn near memorizing voice of Sarah Blondin took me in. The meditation was speaking to me. Every word was stated in the exact way that my heart was feeling. I could not believe what I was hearing. I was thinking that someone knew exactly how to explain how I was feeling at that very moment in my life. Desperate, sad, lonely and lost! #liveawake saved my life. I laid in awe of my eight-minute experience. My energy shifted! It was 5 am and I could not wait to jump out of bed and head to work. The entire 40 years of my life were validated! I had gone 40 years waiting for someone to tell me…I SEE YOU! I FEEL YOU, you are validated and LOVED in your victimhood and your righteousness!!! HALLELUJAH!
I know this sounds crazy but that’s how it happened! The spark of potential, just like that! I got out of bed and grabbed my sage stick and “smoked out.” I burned my smudge stick and prayed like it was my last prayer! As I burned my stick and prayed my way through my house I started to think…OMG! I am aligned in purpose and I want everyone I know to feel this “surrender” like I do. That was the birth of the Healthy Latina Lifestyle Experience Based workshops. Just like that, I started to write and read and meditate daily. I started to build my zen den and planned my first gathering of women to share “the secret.” The birth of the smudge stick workshop started!
Sounds simple? Or too New Age? Seriously! That’s how it happened! I come from a family of Aztec Indians with a flare of Chicano-ism. The thought of feathers, burning yerba and palo santo fascinates me! I was committed. My father was a patchouli oil-wearing hippie that got high on his own supply. I was his only daughter and knew that I was going to follow my heart and break a few on my way to my purpose (thanks for the loving affirmations, Daddy.) My workshops are just a glimpse of what I have learned and what I hope you experience. The best energy detox you can do is already in you. Dig Deep and practice. I See you!
My 5 helpful tips to help cleanse your Juju:
Note: This process is experience based. What works for me. You can’t do everything all at once or experience something overnight, sometimes the process is slow and purposely so.
- Start with your thinking. Notice what thoughts are consuming you and why. Notice where your mind is going and what words and emotions you are using in “sharing” or thinking. Are you telling your friends and family about your feelings and dreams? If you are, what tone are you using and what intentions are you setting by speaking what you are experiencing?
- Start being intentional with your breath. Think about it. Your breath is LIFE. How you use it is a true testament to how you are living. Close your eyes and think about your breath and how you are using it. Are you relaxed, anxious or heavy? Using your breath alone can change your life! The energy you project and the energy you attract can be guide just by your breath.
- Move and activate your body. The sloth part of me sucks! When I am lazy…I AM L-A-Z-Y! I mean slow mo! Think about your habits and your daily routine. Do you remember that game TAG? Well, that’s the elementary way of moving your energy and being nibble. If your moving and active, then nothing can stick to you. Keep things moving. Keep that bad JuJu off.
- Eliminate bad relationships that do not serve you. This is hard, I know. But there are BIG rewards in the act of surrender. It is a full-time job to change yourself. When you know you are around bad juju and relationships, it only adds to the burden of trying to cleanse your own space and life. Bad energy attracts bad energy and nobody wants or needs that. Keep toxic vibes away. Be honest with yourself and your intuition.
- Become aware! Practice your stillness and mindfulness. It took meditation for me to feel safe and free. Take note of the things that make you happy and the ones that put you down in the dumps. Track this and change the habits and learn to be mindful of what’s around you and consuming you. Good and bad. The more you know, the more power you have to change the energy you choose to turn away from.
If you are interested in hearing Sarah Blondin’s amazing meditations, download the Insight Timer app and hear some of her beautiful I SEE YOU mediations. It might be just the message you need to hear today.